Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Tasty Tuesday

My Tasty Tuesday post for today isn't really a recipe. It's more of an idea for a quick dinner - a salad! Original, I know. It's what you put on it that counts. :) Here's what we put on our salad:

We buy the good lettuce. You know, the kind that looks like weeds, but hopefully tastes better. I usually toss it with dill weed, because everything is better with dill! Then we get a few different meats to put on. We buy lunch meat from the deli - ham, turkey, roast beef. Sometimes we grill some chicken to put on, too. We add shredded cheese or cheese crumbles, along with croutons or slivered almonds. And we can't forget the bacon pieces. That's the best part! We also add different veggies. I keep them separate because we don't like the same ones. :(

Now the dressing can make or break the salad, so choose carefully. What may taste good on regular, plain lettuce, doesn't always mix with all the stuff you put on the salad. There are several dressings that we buy. Keith is addicted to any kind of vinaigrette, but I like variety. It depends on my mood. My favorite dressings are ones that you can't buy in stores. They're only served in restaurants, unfortunately. I love Red Robin's Poppy seed dressing and Granite City's Sesame Lime dressing. They are both so good - but not together. Gross.

So there you have my idea for a quick and easy dinner. I like it because usually everything is ready so the kids don't have to wait. Actually, they don't eat the salad, but I make them sandwiches from the meat. It works out well for us. Enjoy!

6 comments:

Mandie said...

Have you tried Ken's salad dressing? Their aged romano italian is delish as is their ranch! YUM!

Anonymous said...

I {heart} salads. Now I'm hungry! I agree with Mandie. I love Ken's Salad Dressing too! Never thought to add dill to my greens. I'll try it.

September said...

I truly enjoy a good salad. My favorite is the grilled chicken salad from Cracker Barrel and I have a placebon my heart for their honey mustard. They got me through a lit of cravings during my pregnancy.

Ah, sigh...

Now I'm hungry for a salad.

jegr said...

Salads are always a good choice. Good lettuce that looks like weeds...yah, I hear it's better for you. :) I've never tried dill on my salad either; may give it a try some time.

Francine said...

O heart dill. I never thought of putting it on salad but I will definitely try that taste tip. I hear you on the dressing making or breaking a salad. Honey mustard is always good on any meat salad in my book!

Anita - Soaring Eagle said...

Well, I just had a salad for lunch today (actually every day). We use the seasoning by "Mrs. Dash" called "Table Blend" we like it! I too may want to try adding dill, I sure like "dill spread" on my sandwiches. As for dressing - we are boring, we just use Virgin Olive Oil...keeps the pipes clean.