Sunday, January 24, 2010

Sunny Day, Sweeping the Clouds Away...

I'm convinced that everyone has the winter blahs. People are cranky. And edgy. And sometimes just plain sad. I know because for the past few weeks I've felt the same way.

I've come to realize that it's my job at work to be happy. To be the perky one. I'm sure you know what I mean. Maybe you have one of those co-workers/family members/friends that drive you absolutely insane because they're so darn cheerful. And how can they be so cheerful when we haven't seen the sun in days?

Yes, that's me. Okay, maybe not quite so perky, but I am the "cheerleader" at work. People can be so cranky that I find I have to be Little Miss Sunshine or they just drag me down with them. So I make it a point to try and stay positive in the hopes that it will keep me from feeling "blah."

The unfortunate part of this is that it's really hard. Really hard. In fact, some days it takes so much effort, that by the time I get home, I'm acting just as bad as the grumpy person I was trying to ward off. It's not fun...for me or my family.

My conclusion is this: As much as want to, I can't change someone else's mood if they aren't willing to change it themselves. It isn't fair to my family, or friends for that matter, to give them my leftovers. I am going to try and be cheerful and positive, but I am not going to stress over someone else's bad mood. If something is truly wrong with that person, I am more than willing to listen and help in any way that I can, but I am not going to fuel their bad mood but taking myself down to that level. There are many things that I could find to be unhappy about, but I refuse to go there. After all, I daily place my hope in the Son, not the sun. I know that makes all the difference!

HA! I just looked out the window and saw the sun! How funny! Gimme an 'S'. Gimme a 'U'. Gimme an 'N'. :)

4 comments:

Alice H said...

We got a glimpse of the sun today too. Thanks for the reminder to put our hope in the Son not the sun! Love you, Emily. Auntie A

Anita - Soaring Eagle said...

AMEN to this Emily - I feel the same way about work! YES, we can put our hope in the SON!!! It was so good to see the sun today :)

Rachel said...

Yep. I am fully convinced that I get a mild version of S.A.D. every winter. I always get to this point where I feel grumpy and sad. That's been been for about 2 weeks. I try to be positive each day when I start out at work and I'm always crabby by the end of the day!
Thanks for your post though! I am glad to see I'm not the only one feeling this way. Plus you brought a little sunshine to my life! Love the background!

Love you!

Oh and also I am amused that my security word is thenutt. Haha!

September said...

You go, girl! I'm sure your family will appreciate no more "leftovers" ;) I do appreciate your cheerfulness and the fact that... you're funny!!