Wednesday, October 01, 2008

I'm in love...


...with Sharpie pens! That's right. I love them. I've always loved Sharpies. Not the fat kind, but the ultra fine ones that write so smoothly. Even when they bled through the paper, which the pens do not, I still loved them. I am reminded of many things whevever I use them. One is when I worked in ETS at Moody. My friend Mandie and I always used them to write in the deskworker's notebook at the front desk. She has cool, neat handwriting. My friend Kim worked in ETS also. She had awesome handwriting, too, and it looked even neater when she wrote with a Sharpie.

The other thing it reminds me of is high school and Mr. Smrha. He was my yearbook/newspaper/homeroom advisor. I can't remember if it was in newspaper or yearbook that he always passed out x-acto knives and black Sharpies. At the time, I just thought of them as markers, and thought of the x-acto knives as, well, knives. He would always talk about "taking your Sharpie" to do this and "using your Sharpie" to do that. The problem was that for the longest time, I thought he was always referring to the x-acto knife. :) I thought that when he said "Sharpie", he was really saying "sharpy" and that it was just another word he used for the knife. They are sharp after all, and if you knew Mr. Smrha, you wouldn't think it was strange if he did call them that! Then one day, it just dawned on me that he was talking about the marker. Haha! It always make me giggle when I think of that moment.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a cute story. When I worked at Telecom forever ago, we called Post It Notes "stickies" and we called page protectors "slickies." I called one a slicky about a year ago and my co-worker thought I couldn't think of the name of the product and was making that up.

Anonymous said...

Sharpie! That's hilarious! How neat that you know Levi's mom! Such a small world!!

Anonymous said...

HAHAHA! Yep. I could definately see how you would think Mr. Smrha was calling the knife a sharpy.
I loved that guy!

Francine said...

I had Mr. Smrha for yearbook and also have a fond attachment to Sharpies. Suppose the two are ralated?

September said...

You are too funny. I greatly enjoy you!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the comment on my handwriting. I think it was a prerequisite for us to have neat handwriting while working at ETS.