I have to start off by saying that I haven't always been a fan of the Summer Olympics. I usually tune in to the Winter games. I'm into the figure skating, snowboarding, speed racing, etc. However, I got sucked into them somehow this time around. My one complaint is the time of night that all the good stuff is on. I've been walking around in a fog because of staying up too late to watch. I finally had to record some of them because I just couldn't stay up late another night. I think I'm still recovering.
First up, the Swedish wrestler. How much of a poor sport do you need to be to drop your bronze medal on the mat and walk off? Seriously. I mean, an Olympic bronze medal. You're just going to leave it all because you thought it wasn't good enough? You may be a good wrestler, but you pretty much stink as a human being. Watch the video to see the medal ceremony for yourself. Justice was served. He was stripped of the win. Serves him right.
Next, let's talk about fashion. Those Belgium women competing in beach volleyball have no business wearing those bikinis while playing. Come to think of it, none of them really do. I'm sure it's unrestrictive and blah, blah, blah, but put some clothes on already. Another thing about this Belgium team that drove me nuts, is the way they "hugged" after every point they got. It was so fake and the taller one always patted the shorter one on the head. It was odd.
And the women's gymnastic teams. I get the scrunchies and even the occasional bobby pin, but what is up with the rows and rows of clips? If two don't work, then will 10? Do they have to make sure each strand of hair stays put? I know they don't want their hair in their faces, but it seems a bit excessive to me.
Another question, this time regarding the men's gymnastics teams - does the camera really need to be on you when you are changing your clothes in between rounds? Are you being scored for that, too?
How about the women's gymnastic team from China? Oh, I'm sorry, that isn't right. It should be the GIRL'S gymnastic team. I just have to say, that if people can tell how old a tree is, they can surely tell how old a person is. Just put these girls next to the women running track for China, and the age difference will be quite obvious. When they commented how one of the girls was so little that she could walk under the beam, it was obvious that it was because she was Miesha's age! I smell an investigation coming, because what would be the point of falsifying passports when they are in THEIR OWN COUNTRY?!
Then again, who wants to argue with China?
When did synchronized diving become a sport? I mean, I never heard of anyone joining the synchronized diving team. What exactly is the point? And speaking of points, what exactly is their method of scoring? Confusing? I think so. Still watch it? Heck, yes!
I have to admit that I have Phelps Phever. I can't help it. He is the Lightning McQueen of the pool. He is faster than fast! He is speed!
But don't worry, he's not taking it. Sure, there are allegations of him doping it up to win, but that's to be expected. He's like the Jeff Gordon of swimming. He's fast. He wins. He's a nice guy. Yep, something must be wrong with him. He can't just be a good swimmer. What a bunch of hooey! They're barking up the wrong tree. I mean, the guy voluntarily undergoes extra drug testing. Blah.
And did you see the US team win that 4x100m relay?! How cool was that? Or the 100m that Phelps won by one hundredth of a second! I tend to think that long arms can be an advantage in addition to being so fast. They say his wing span is as long as Kobe Bryant is tall. That's crazy.
And out of curiosity, do you wonder what Phelps is always listening to on his iPod before he swims? I read some comments on another blog about this topic, and it was interesting. I thought I might be the only one who thinks things like that. Good to know I'm not.
I watched some of the men from China competing on the gymnastic team, and I thought there were a couple of amazing competitors. I don't know their names, but this one was on the rings. He was totally still, holding himself up, and without any momentum was able to invert his entire body. It was crazy! I would surely fall down. Even though I have a heavy child, I do not possess that much arm strength. Sad, but true.
So that's just the stuff I thought about while I have been watching. The Olympics are a funny thing. You can sit there and watch a sport that you could care less about (by the way, I loathe volleyball) but you can get so caught up in cheering for "your" team. I think they can be inspiring to some extent. It can make you think of what you can do when you put your mind to it, and are dedicated to it.
Hey, if scrapbooking ever makes it to the Olympics, I am so there!
6 comments:
Good points.
I give you a 8 on your length, a 2 on your writing technique and a 5 for the commentary on China. All in all equaling to 43 points.
Hey, I'm going off of the synchronized swimming scoring.
I give you a 10! I couldn't agree more on all points. Great minds think alike!
You get a gold medal for your long blog! Although I've only seen 1 night of the Olympics I feel semi-caught up from your commentary! Plus this was highly amusing to read.
Love you!
O my sentiments exactly. Cute and hilarious post!
Synchro Diving??? That has to be to attract new viewers because plain ol' diving wasn't drawing enough interest.
I remember when the judges just held up a number for the score, cut and dried, 1-10 and average the judges score - any doofus could follow from home....now its (on purpose) so hard to follow, you have to own a scientific calculator to figure the scores!! Waaay over my head, but I don't understand the American presidential vote scoring system, either.
I think Phelps listens to classical music to relax him. That or motivational speeches! How can listening to your iPod be cheating? I am having flashbacks from the movie Halloween 3 (or 15, I can't remember).
I guess I should clarify. 43 points out of 45.
I really did enjoy your post!!
You need to blog.. geesh, you act like you have three kids, a husband, a job and a house to take care of...
Post a Comment